Monday, May 01, 2006

UK - Smoking ban and unintended consequences

Scotlands smoking ban has been in effect for just over a month now and I've noticed some uninended consequences of the ban.

For the record, I'm a non smoker and am in favor of the ban. I don't mind if someone else smokes, I just don't want to have to breathe their smoke. I'm not going to go into the whole debate again, the ban was passed and that's that.

Since smokers must now go outside many pubs have erected a "shelter" for them. My local has a beer garden and they erected quite a nice shelter complete with lights, heat and benches. The only problem is, the pub has a license for the garden until 8pm during the week and 6pm on Sundays. So customers have to be reminded to leave their drinks in the pub; not always a good idea in this age of date rape and spiked drinks.

Another problem arises when large numbers of smokers go outside outwith the garden license hours. Since they've been drinking they tend to get a bit loud and the neighbours then complain.

I'm not complaining mind you. It's a small price to pay to have a smoke free pub.

But there's one "intentional" unintended consequence that does bug me. When smokers go outside they intentionally leave the door open. Just now it's still pretty cold out here in Scotland. After several visits to the pub and noticing this annoying habit, I asked a smoker why they continued to leave the door open. He replied, if I have to be subjected to the cold to smoke, you can get cold with me. Charming.

On the positive side, I've noticed a lot more food being served, I've seen a lot of new faces and more familes and the clean air is heaven. I've read three reports concerning effects on profits; two good and one negative. I asked my local how the ban was effecting profits and she said she had not noticed a difference either way. I asked another in the town center and they said profits were up largely due to increased food sales. I suppose it's a mixed bag and too early to tell.

If you've similar stories to tell, please leave a comment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss