Saturday, October 21, 2006

UK - Guardian caught lying about Afghanistan

Here's what the Guardian claimed Brigadier Ed Butler said.

Here Brigadier Butler calls the Guardian out for lying.

Your front-page story (Iraq war cost years of progress, October 18) paints a misleading and mischievous picture of what I said at a media briefing on Tuesday. It omits some of my comments and extrapolates meaning and intention from others which is completely false. I did not say the operation in Iraq had cost "years of progress" in Afghanistan; I did not say it had left "a dangerous vacuum"; and I did not say that British soldiers faced a tougher task now because of it.
I made clear that the operation in Iraq had concentrated UK resources and focus for a time; this is hardly rocket science, nor is it news. I also made clear, however, that the coalition had not slipped back in Afghanistan as a result, nor would it affect its ability to get the job done. Since 2002, the Karzai government's influence has been cemented in Kabul, extended to the north and the west and, now, is being spread in the south and then the east. The dedicated, courageous and professional soldiers I had the privilege of leading in Afghanistan were nothing short of inspirational. I'm immensely proud of them all, and of all they have achieved as part of a difficult mission which, as I made clear, is "emphatically worthwhile".

I am deeply disappointed the Guardian didn't feel able to reflect my views it in its report.

Ed Butler
Commander, 16 Air Assault Brigade


I'm sure the Taleban appreciates the Guardian's support.

In a strange twist of fate, The Guardian reported on the BBC lying about its coverage in Iraq.

That's the left wing media for you. How much better our world would be without the lying left wing media.

UPDATE

Likewise in the US, Newsweek was forced to admit its reporting was really an "analysis" and not facts.

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss