Monday, March 06, 2006

Iran - Female frustrations of reporting

Nice to see the left wing rag, the BBC, reporting on Muslim abuse of women. Frances Harrison reports from Tehran.

Women living and working in Iran, particularly those working for the foreign media, are finding all kinds of difficulties strewn in their path, writes Frances Harrison.

It's the first time I've had to state my religion to cover a story.


Well, you liberals claim Islam is the religion of peace and tolerance. Nice to see reality bite you in the ass.

An elderly and rather well-heeled couple on their evening stroll had stopped to see what all the commotion was about and unfortunately had recognised me from TV.

Very loudly they started saying: "Oh, you are from the BBC," and proclaiming it to all around.

That triggered the wrath of a police officer who started ranting at me about how wrong it had been to print the cartoons, as if I had personally been responsible as the only foreigner present.


Sheesh. Even the Iranians hate the BBC. How bad is that?

So what does the female Western journalist have to say about Muslim abuse of women?

Next year - if I'm still here - I think I may carry out my threat and stay at home.


That will certainly teach them.

Now, what's missing from this BBC report on Muslim abuse of women? My regular readers will know the answer to that.

Here's a hint. The story portrays Muslims in a bad light. Give up?

What's missing is one word - Muslim.

Remember she told us this twice:

It's the first time I've had to state my religion to cover a story.

That was when I had to state my religion - throwing in for good measure that my husband was Iranian.


Notice she never told us her religion? Her husband is Iranian and I guess it would be safe to assume she is Muslim.

Why leave out the word Muslim that is important to a story about Muslim abuse of women?

I guess it's something that the BBC even allowed the report, but why the cover up for Muslims?.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss