Tuesday, October 24, 2006

UK - No shows at Stop the War Coalition rally

Now that it's been exposed that the Stop the War Coalition is led by communists and they've joined forces with Islamists, their support seems to have evaporated.

Yesterday I posted about the Stop the War Coaltion's latest organized protest in Glasgow. The event was promoted on their website and the Independent wrote a glowing report in support and had this to say.

Thousands of people are expected to join to rally in Glasgow today protesting against anti-Muslim rhetoric among politicians and in the media.

The rally, organised by the Glasgow Stop the War Coalition and the Muslim Association of Britain, was prompted by fears that recent statements by government figures had led to the growing number of attacks on Muslims and increasing sectarian sentiment.


As my post indicated there were no media reports on the expected "thousands" or, indeed any reports on any protest what so ever. As I indicated that seemed odd, so I contacted the Stop the War Coalition's main HQ who said they had no knowledge of the event but put me on to the local Glasgow people, who said they didn't attend but who gave me several mobile numbers of people who were supposedly there but the numbers didn't work.

Someone who was at George Square for some time in Glasgow on that day, emailed me their observations and a picture.

"I was up in Glasgow at the weekend for a reunion, and ended up spending quality time visiting many of my old haunts (or wandering around pretty aimlessly whilst waiting for someone to do 'important' shopping - it's all a matter of perspective). Anyway. The only thing I saw of any rally was on a poster outside the University's Queen Margaret's Union Building after I headed back to the West End of town from the city centre. Of course, like so many Britons, it could just be that I'm blind to reality and there was actually a huge demonstration going on.
George Square did seem to have lots of crush barriers (see pic), but maybe they're there all the time?"


Here's his picture.



via Neil with thanks.

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss