Sunday, June 07, 2009

Guardian surprised American's stand up for free speech

This is classic.

"So I decided to see if a little English charm could draw the evidently coy MIC out of its shell and, to my surprise, I was patched straight through by the operator to J.J. McNelis, MIC's marketing president. What proceeded was one of the more memorable calls I've made as a journalist. "


Read the transcript of the call and you'll see why it was memorable. Read the whole thing but here's a snippet.

"Me: But "Global Warming is Baloney" is certainly a different sort of message, a more political viewpoint?

McNelis: I would agree that it's a viewpoint, but not necessarily a political one. But we're not sheeple around here, and while Barack Obama would like to have you believe that no one is entitled to have a view other than his, if someone wants to stand up and say "Global Warming is Baloney", then I'm all for it. It doesn't matter to me, whether I believe in it or not. They have first amendment rights to say whatever's on their mind. And nobody dictates otherwise."

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss