Saturday, June 11, 2005

America - Foleygate Update

I finally received a reply to my email to several people on the Guild's contact list, asking what they plan to do about Newspaper Guild President Linda Foley's, unsubstantiated and slanderous claim that US troops target journalists.

Mike Hoyt executive editor of the Columbia Journalism Review, sent me this email.

Marc,

Thank you again for the tip. It turned out to be useful, and as of now we're planning to comment on Foley's remarks in our editorial in the next CJR, which goes into the mail in July. If you'll remind me a few days after July 4th I'll send you a link.

regards,
Mike Hoyt
CJR


This short email raises several questions.

First, note Mr. Hoyt begins by thanking be for the tip. This would indicate he was unaware of Foley's comments. If we take him at his word, does this not indicate the level of success the media are having in suppressing this story?

Second, Hoyt says the tip turned out to be useful, an interesting phrase to use. Useful in what way? His email is careful to remain neutral. Is he planning on attacking Foley, supporting her or spinning the story?

Third, Hoyt says that as of now they are planning to comment on Foley's remarks. This sounds to me like Hoyt is giving himself room in case the story doesn't run. Or is he just trying to get me off his back?

I guess for now we will have to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, I've marked 6 July on my calendar to email him back.

Still no reply from the many others I emailed; the silence is deafening.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss