Saturday, April 03, 2004

Showing how the BBC and anti-capitalist bias go hand in hand from Samizdata

My friend Bernie emailed me with the link to this short Radio Times film review of The Godfather, shown last night on Channel 5. Spot the anti-capitalist bit.

This crime drama and its 1974 sequel are among American cinema's finest achievements since the Second World War.
The production problems are well documented — how Paramount wanted a quickie, how Francis Ford Coppola came cheap and how he turned the picture into an epic success, a box-office hit that was also an artistic triumph.

His first masterstroke was casting Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton, four relative unknowns and one known risk; his next masterstroke was to keep cool under fire, like Michael Corleone himself, turning Mario Puzo's pulp novel into art and showing how capitalism and crime go hand in hand.
(my emphasis)

Slick and subtle don't you think?

My wife and I (just a reminder - I'm American and she is Scottish) were over at a Scottish friends house last night for drinks (he has his own export business - hence the American Scottish connection) when the subject of BBC bias came up. The husband was in agreement with me but it took a few examples to demonstrate to his wife how bad the BBC really is.

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss