Friday, July 02, 2004

BBC stealth editing

Yesterday I posted an article with this headline from the BBC:

US recalls old soldiers for duty

I emailed the BBC to complain about the term "old soldiers" because it implied, at least to me, that the US was recalling pensioners.

Through stealth editing, The BBC, have now changed the headline to this:

US recalls ex-soldiers for duty

Even that is incorrect because the article deals with the Individual Ready Reserve.
Members who by definition are still soldiers.

Unfortunately the BBC did not correct the rest of the complaints contained in my original post. Most notably using an outspoken critic of the war and the Bush administration as a source in the article. Which, by the way, contained several factual errors as I reported in my original post.

The original BBC webpage is no longer available. I was able to find a reference to it with the original headline. I'll post it along with the new stealth version.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss