Friday, January 08, 2010

My American Friends

A letter from London.

"The first thing I ever heard about Americans was that they all carried guns. Then, when I came across people who’d had direct contact with this ferocious-sounding tribe, I learned that they were actually rather friendly. At university, friends who had traveled in the United States came back with more detailed stories, not just of the friendliness of Americans but also of their hospitality (which, in our quaint English way, was translated into something close to gullibility). When I finally got to America myself, I found that not only were the natives friendly and hospitable, they were also incredibly polite. No one tells you this about Americans, but once you notice it, it becomes one of their defining characteristics, especially when they’re abroad."


No, they don't. What you do get is a steady stream of anti Americanism from the likes of The Guardian, The Independent and false pictures from the BBC.

"America is often portrayed as an ignorant, unsophisticated sort of place, full of bible bashers and ruled to a dangerous extent by trashy television, superstition and religious bigotry, a place lacking in respect for evidence based knowledge. I know that is how it is portrayed because I have done my bit to paint that picture..." BBC's Washington correspondent Justin Webb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I to but I think the list inform should secure more info then it has.

 
Brain Bliss