Saturday, February 27, 2010

The green jobs myth - washingtonpost.com

Nice of the Post to notice.

"Now let's consider job losses. It takes one worker today roughly 15 minutes to read a single meter. So in a day, a meter reader can scan about 30 meters, or about 700 meters a month. Meters are typically read once a month, making it the base period to calculate meter-reading jobs. Reading a million meters every month engages about 1,400 personnel. In five years, 20 million manually read meters are expected to disappear, taking with them some 28,000 meter-reading jobs.

In other words, instead of creating jobs, smart metering will probably result in net job destruction. This should not be surprising because the main method of making the electrical grid "smart" is by automating its functions. Automation by definition obviates the need for people. "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family all the time say that I am wasting my time here at
web, however I know I am getting experience all the time
by reading such nice articles or reviews.
My webpage - online gaming

 
Brain Bliss