Monday, October 25, 2004

An Iraqi learns about democracy

From Blogs of War

Watch the video if you haven’t already.

In July, I came to the United States to learn about democracy to help my country and my community. I had not heard about democracy in Kirkuk, but heard a little about it in Kurdistan. So to learn more I have met with Senators, Mayors, and Congress and had lessons in democracy. It is very new to me, but I really like it. I think it is very important because every citizen has the same level of rights. The person in the street has the same rights as the President. And, the government is for the people and the people are all the same. I want to build that in my home. I want it to work in Iraq and I want to teach the people about what I have learned here in the United States about democracy and a free society.

I have met with many Americans since arriving and they have all been so nice and friendly. They make me feel very welcome. Some have said that they feel guilty for what has happened in Iraq, but I say there is no reason for guilt, we have more safety now and are much happier. I think we share the same feelings of excitement and nervousness about the future but I know it will be much better.

For 35 years Saddam pushed us down. He forced me to leave my home and my community to find safety. But now, we have been given freedom for the first time. It is all new and feels like a dream. We have a new government who I think is good and who promises to do great things. We can live and work and learn and hope.

So I want to thank Americans for the gift of democracy and freedom that you have given us.-

Surood Ahmad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss