Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nick Clegg sacks 'Jihad Jenny' Tonge but doesn't withdraw the whip. Why the hell not?

"Baroness Tonge – “Jihad Jenny” – earlier this week told the Jewish Chronicle that there should be an investigation into claims that Israeli relief workers in Haiti were harvesting the organs of the dead. And now Nick Clegg has sacked her from her job as Lib Dem health spokesman in the Lords. But he hasn’t withdrawn the whip.

Why the hell not? Says Clegg: “My view is that a number of things Jenny Tonge has said are irresponsible and offensive but I do not believe she is anti-Semitic or racist. If I did, she wouldn’t be a Liberal Democrat.”

I will leave readers to make up their own minds whether calling for an investigation to determine the truth of a version of the blood libel is anti-Semitic. But I couldn’t help chuckle at Clegg’s naive belief that there’s no room for racists in the Liberal Democrats."

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss