Monday, November 10, 2008

The return to reality

Sadly, it will take a long time for that to happen.

I was around a friends house last night for a few drinks and the election came up. One in the group had made a bet with a friend that Obama's middle name was Hussein and they turned to me for confirmation. Raise your hand if you think it is, I said. Only one raised their hand. I then asked them if anyone of them could name any accomplishment by Obama before his election. No one could. I asked them if they knew Obama lived in Indonesia as a child and attended a Madras. Howls of laughter and disbelief ensued - until they looked it up on the internet. I asked if they knew Obama smoked pot and took cocaine. You'll believe anything you read they snorted. Until I showed them passages from Obama's memoirs. These were Obama supporters mind you.

And so the night went. Finally, one in the group turned to me, exasperated that I had exposed their total ignorance of their beloved Obama, and said to me, "well, at least he isn't Bush". And there it was, the real reason they liked Obama.

Ignorance is bliss they say. These people must be real happy.

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss