Monday, November 21, 2005

Britain - Anti-Bullying Week

As a parent of 3 school children, all of whom have suffered bullying at school, this is subject close to my heart. In every case I was able to get it stopped almost immediately with a simple technique.

First, I asked the school if they had plans and procedures to deal with bullies. All said they did.

Next, I asked them what was the proof that their plans and procedures worked. I got a blank stare followed by "what do you mean?". I replied, the proof they are working is that the bullying stops. If the bullying continues the plans and procedures obviously aren't working. It was if a light went on in their heads, they suddenly realized that there was a crucial element missing - action.

In one case this wasn't completely successful on the first attempt. At my oldest son's high school I had to confront the headmaster head on. He wasn't doing enough in my opinion as my son was still being bullied.

The solouton? I gave my son a mobile phone and told him to call me as soon as he was being bullied. I told the headmaster that as soon as my son called me I was calling him and I would continue to harass him until he stopped the harassment of my son. Further, I warned the headmaster that I would involve the police, local council and the media. He got the message.

The very next day my son was bullied. We put our plan into action and the headmaster took immediate action. It worked - no more bullying - and that was three years ago.

Here's a BBC report highlighting the problem and kicking off anti-bullying week.

The key is parents getting tough with school officials and letting them know you won't stand for your child being bullied.

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss