Thursday, March 30, 2006

UK - BBC on US immigration

While the BBC ignore the UK and Europe's immigration problems, they're quite happy to report on America's.

I didn't have time to fisk Frei's article the other day. Turns out I didn't have to. The commenters at the BBC's have your say on the post did a great job.

When I returned to the UK in 2000, with my wife and 3 kids who are all British citizens, I had to pay $500 for an immigration visa which was good for only one year. In addition, I had to prove that we had sufficient funds to maintain us and a place for us to live. During that first year we were not allowed any state benefits, other than medical. After that year, I had to apply for permanent residency and had to prove that we had remained good citizens. We had to send in our last 3 months of bank statements, electric bills, gas bills, phone bills and 5 other letters addressed to our address.

Remember, my wife and 3 kids are British citizens with British passports.

When I questioned UK immigration officials about all of this, I was told, just because you're born in this country does not give you automatic right of abode here. I kid you not.

So, how about it BBC, care to take a look the UK's immigration policies?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

 
Brain Bliss